Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent, a few days late.

Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.  The ever present question of "What are you giving up?" 

My response is usually something along the lines of, "Um, I grew up Methodist.  We don't really do that.  Isn't that a Catholic thing?" 

But for me the underlying thought has always been, WHY?  Why give up chocolate or coffee?  There are obvious reasons- self-denial and discipline are two that instantly come to mind for me.  Consequently both of those are things I really suck at and could definitely need more practice... 

But I've always perceived Lent as a time to prepare yourself for the awesome experience of Easter.  To grow closer to God.  To me, I don't feel or see the rational of giving up chocolate and growing closer to God.



All that being said....  This year, I gave up Nutella.  I do need more self-discipline, I believe Christ was very self-disciplined and I desire to be more like Christ.  (And on a side note: that stuff is seriously sabotaging my diet.) 
I've decided to cut down on my Twitter/FB time, especially while the kiddos are awake so I can be more "present."  (@melissity made a good point when she quit Twitter for Lent, sharing @OurLittleAshley's post as her inspiration.) 

But, the big things that I have committed to are DOING things during Lent. 
#1 Exercising every day.  My body is a temple if the Lord's.  And I abuse it.  Not horribly with drugs, alcohol, smoking.  But I do- laziness and sugar being my main enemies. 
#2  Every day I am reading my Bible & a Christian thought book (first up is Moments Together which came recommended from my mom, after that I have a few to choose from- we'll see how many I finish in 40 days.)

And today a friend shared this.  And I couldn't agree more.  Yes, I gave something up for Lent, but what am I giving?  That is the real question for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment