Sunday, October 25, 2009

A House Full!

Inspired by Melissa at MoodyPeach.net! (Thanks!)
http://moodypeach.net/2009/10/25/by-definition/


I always pictured myself as the mother of all boys. Maybe it's because I'm not your typical girly-girl. (I can't remember the last time I wore a skirt or dress- and it has nothing to do with being pregnant.) Maybe it's because I only babysat boys when I was in high school (luck of the draw?) Maybe it's because I grew up on a farm, and your gender didn't matter- you were expected to work just the same.

But honestly, girls always scared me to death. The ear-piercing squeals (Ack!) the teenage attitudes (Oy!) the delicate balance of empowering them without making them into a b#*%h (Ugh!) However, now that we have a girl, I'm just rolling with the punches. She'll be fine- she's a rough and tumble girl already, but oh the drama sometimes.


ANYWAYS, now that we have a boy coming, numerous times these past weeks people (acquaintances, church members, the server at Panera,) have asked, "One of each! Are you done after this?"

Um, NO frick'n-frack'n way!!! (If for medical reasons, we are done, that's fine, but it's not The Plan.) My actual response has been a surprised look and a pleasant "Nope!" I know the American dream is a boy, a girl, a dog, and a house with a white picket fence. (Seriously, we have a cat instead of the dog, but otherwise...) And I guess two is the social norm. But my desire for a house-full of kids has NOTHING to do with their gender!!! I came from a big family, and I want a big family of my own! (Even if it is all girls!) To us, the determining factor on how many kids we have, is how well we can provide for their quality of life and for the opportunities that we desire for them! If our ___ (actual # still TBD) kids are happy and healthy, that's what matters!

I mean, how could I NOT want twenty more of these?




Oy, the questions that random people ask...

PS- I know, I know- carbon footprint, overpopulating the Earth, etc. Don't worry, I'm not going to give Michelle Duggar a run for her money! Besides, I'm a chemist- I'll find a way to help those things through science! :)

1 comment:

  1. Lol... awesome post. :) It really does stun me that people, even perfect strangers, ask such personal questions.

    I'm one of four kids but I was never really a "kid" person to begin with, although when I came around to the idea, I was definitely more comfortable with the idea of boys because I'm not super-girly either. But after my miscarriages last year we're pretty much certain we're done anyway. It's been too stressful. We don't have a large support system either (with George's family in Hungary, and us possibly moving out of state away from MY family) so we think two will be just right.

    I applaud anyone who takes on ONE child, but I bow down to anyone who does the Big Family thing. I think it's awesome for the right people (good, stable, smart people like you!) and I hope you are blessed with the houseful that you dream of. If they're all like little B, I can see why you want more! :)

    ReplyDelete